Oracle Changes Java Licensing – Key Information for HUP Customers
HUP AG has been using Oracle’s Java environment (JRE) for many years for many products. As a result of the changes in the area of licensing, the intervals between the release of new software versions are significantly shortened, and the same applies to the support of older versions. The consequence: The software versions of HUP AG have to be adapted more often in order to avoid security gaps.
This means that HUP customers have to install and test updates at much shorter intervals, which leads to additional costs. In addition, Oracle support for Java for commercial use is now subject to a fee and requires a support contract.
New ways – lasting good service
In order to avoid this “compulsory licensing” by Oracle, HUP AG now also supports free Java frameworks of other providers, so that you have the possibility to use our Java-based applications without paying license fees to Orcale.
Specifically, we support the following Java frameworks for our products:
- HUP Verlagssystem (VL): Anzeigenverwaltung –> Zulu Java 8 (32 Bit)
- HUP WebAnzeigen -> Zulu Java 8 (32 Bit)
- HUP PS.Content unter Windows –> Zulu Java oder Amazon Cornetto 8 (64 Bit)
- HUP PS.Content unter Linux – OpenJDK 8
- Paradise – Oracle oder Zulu Java 8 (32 Bit), im Lieferumfang enthalten
- HUP PS.Delivery – OpenJDK 8
- HUP PS.Retail – OpenJDK 8
- HUP PS.CallCenter – OpenJDK 8
- HUP PS.Complaint – OpenJDK 8
- comet ePA – Open JDK 8
Of course, you can continue to use Oracle Java if you wish and in compliance with the new modalities. If you would like further technical information, background information or have any questions, please contact your HUP account manager who will be happy to help you.
Update – 20.05.2019:
We would be happy to make you an offer for the service of converting to the above-mentioned alternative frameworks, so that you can continue to enjoy the free use of Java. – Please do not hesitate to contact us.